Sunday, September 28

Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Inferno/The Legend Ends Movie Review


Before watching any of the 3 Rurouni Kenshin movies, I have never watched even 1 episode of the Samurai X animated TV series. The reason I watched the first movie 2 years ago was because my ex-boyfriend was a fan of the TV series.  And now that I have watched all three installments of the movies, here are my observations:


  •  Rurouni Kenshin (Takeru Satoh)  fights in cute, small jerky motions.  
         - I've always had the impression that samurais are these highly esteemed kind that are almost at par with the nobilities. As such, I expected them to fight gracefully and be nimble on their feet (like Sojiro). I expected them to glide effortlessly on the ground like, say, Michael Jackson when he's moonwalking, or that I will gape openmouthed while they fight in a smooth, suave way.  Watching Kenshin in his fight scenes, I have observed that he has these signature "small-man" jerky movements that are not at all graceful but cute. He swings his head left-right while taking small steps forward and then swings his sword in two successive one-two quick swishes in one direction. And to witness him fight is an experience much like watching your nephew perform. You watch him with fondness of his quirks and mannerisms that have grown to be familiar to you. 

Here he is doing his "small-man" signature walk-turn










  • Key moments/scenes of the film are highlighted by rain. 










- I've also noticed that important parts of the film always happen when it's raining or rain will suddenly add effect on an already serious/dramatic scene, such as when Kenshin watched the burial of the man he slained, when he went to save Kaori, and when his Master asked him to figure out what it is he lacked. 


  • Sanosuke reacts and bleeds in extremes.



- My favourite character of the film, funny side kick Sanosuke is depicted as always reacting in extremes complete with his animated facial expressions -whether it be joy, anger, sadness, etc. While there is no shortage in his reactions at every situation, in the same way, I have also noticed that his every fight scene has him bleeding profusely so that blood completely covers his teeth while gushing from his mouth as well as all over his body, making me wince at his sight.  


  • I loved the OST.
- The soundtrack for the movie "Hiten by Naoki Sato" did not sound so special at the beginning then you will hear it build up to majestic drum beating and then segue-ing to the background music for the epic fight scenes we have all came to love from watching all three installments of the movie.



  • Shishio reminds me of baby back ribs. 





No comments: