Saturday, November 22

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I Movie Review

hungergames

Had the chance to watch the Mockingjay Part I yesterday thanks to my screening sponsor, Cadbury Philippines. As I came directly from work, we walked in just as the lights have dimmed and the movie is starting. Anyway, my comments:

1. Dragging 
          - The movie was off to a slow start (read: all talk), and as I haven't eaten dinner yet, it was just as well, for I busied myself with the task of eating Wendys' 2-piece Salisbury steak in the dark (which my friend had considerably bought for me) while the cast of characters droned on. But after ample time has passed, the cast were still just talking among themselves, and I started getting impatient. I mean, I know it's nice that it's intellectual and sticking close to the book by inserting as many dialogues and all -but- I'm still an averaged Short-Attention-Spanned moviegoer and I prefer action please over words, thank you very much!

But when you think about it, how else can they stretch the Mockingjay book into 2-part movies and make twice the money if they aren't gonna insert lots of down time talking as "fillers" for the movie? The action only started on the second hour of the movie. So yes, you may sleep on the first half of the movie and set your phone to vibrate an hour later when things start to get interesting.

2.  Jennifer Lawrence can act 
            - Throughout the film, I have noticed one fact: Jennifer Lawrence's acting has only improved over time. Whenever she is anguished, suddenly I also feel tears spilling over my own eyes. I can't help but compare her to Twilight's Kristen Stewart and it makes me more appreciative of Jennifer's ability to act.

3. Look-alikes 
           -  The world has grown so big and populated that nowadays, everyone has at least one celebrity look-alike. Proof of this is how I always find semblances between people when watching movies or meeting someone new. Here are my look-alikes for Mockingjay Part I:


President Coin/Madonna
Boggs/Michael Jordan

Cressida/Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo


Luke Mejares/Beetee



President Snow's cream trench coat/Tablecloth

The movie is not that bad, when it comes down to it from the perspective of someone who has read all three books by Suzanne Collins. However, I'm not sure if those who haven't read the book will have as much tolerance for it, as my friend who haven't read the book seemed lost on what was happening, and asked me to explain some parts of the movie. 

No comments: