Monday, January 7

Life of Pi: A Movie Review


Not having the time to research about what I was about to watch, the first thing that came to mind when I heard the movie title and watched the opening credits of the movie was that it was somehow related to tai chi or Pooh's Little Instruction Book or Tao way of living or anything Zen, most especially since the opening music they used was very soothing and something you will hear at the Spa or perhaps while doing yoga.

I think the 12 year-old Pi Patel has an uncanny resemblance to my good friend Mark Lester a.k.a. "Yaya".

What I liked:





















  • I liked the part where it showed millions of jelly fishes glowing at night in the sea.


  • I super liked the part where a huge eerie ghost face of Pi's mother was shown in the sea amidst all the other zoo animals which drowned, depicted in a constellation-like formation in the big vast sea which Pi is traversing.
  • I liked that the hyena, zebra, orangutan, fish and the tiger seemed to be directed into acting and interacting with each other (although I cringed at the thought that a goat, fish, or some other animal might have to die for the movie -I surely hope not!)  

  • I loved the cat qualities of Richard Parker, the Bengali tiger of Pi... how he hissed like a cat when he's trying to protect himself while at the same time inching backwards, how he followed Pi out of the boat and back, how he laid like a pet cat on Pi's lap, and all his many adorable cat qualities.
In short, I loved the movie even though it doesn't have much of a story (as per Ruth) and basically involves surviving in the sea. Thanks for bringing me, P.I.C. (courtesy of Ms. Becina)!

No comments: