Thursday, January 17

Lila Says: A book review



Yesterday, I found this book at the bookstore, which I immediately jumped into and finished reading once I got home. 
Two things mainly attracted me to buy the book: 
  1. dirt cheap price  
  2. the fact that it was an international bestseller
After staying up late reading and being sufficiently disturbed after finishing the book I decided to write a review for it. 

One of the unique things about the book was how it is being packaged by its publishers and/or editors. They claimed that the 128-page book was written with a Bic ballpen on a notepad by an anonymous 19-year old boy who goes by the pseudonym of Chimo -one of the main characters in the book.That he faxed the first few pages of the book, and that the rest of the manuscript was sent by the boy's lawyer. 

Reading the first few pages of the book, I can see that the author was someone who was really smooth with words and used to flattering everyone around him, describing the main character and the object of his affections (Lila) in nothing less than the highest praises, coming up with words like her voice, skin and face is like an angel's, and coming up with so many superlatives in not just one but all physical attributes of the girl. 

Surely, I know when someone is putting me on. 

It also seemed that the boy, who talked in a streetwise gangster cool slang, is trying to pen all his sexual fantasies into the book, making it seem as if the goddess-like main character of his story has unsatiable desire for him.  

He also make it seem as if he is just being a quiet, shy gentleman all throughout the story, never admitting that he was at fault for the sudden shocking twist to the story when he most probably is! 

Most likely, he had been spreading the stories that was entrusted to him with care by the 16-year-old Lila, breaking her trust just so he could seem all macho to his douchebag male friends. And of course the douchebag male friends being their douchebag selves, what else can they do but use the knowledge that was shared to them by Chimo in judging women they don't know and wreaking havoc to the society?

Ultimately, reading Lila Says just succeeded in reviving my anger at douchebags and making me want to buy at least 3 copies of the book so I can distribute it to all male chauvinistic pigs I've known in my life, some of which are classmates in school. Or maybe I'll just lend it patiently to each of them one asshole at a time. But even after reading the book, I doubt if they can understand the significance of it. I sincerely hope the book succeeds not just in reviving anger from women like me but in somehow removing douchebags in the society, as well!


No comments: