Wednesday, February 19

It bett’r have classes tomorrow… I’m gettin’ fat sittin’ round tha house stuffin’ ma face full of tha chocolate toffee pistachio Tita Deng brought.
***
It wuz fun to have ma Tita Deng ‘round tha house for three days. By now, ma wide-eyed eight-year-old amazement at her had worn off to shy respect but as a kid, I used to really look up to Tita Deng. She wuz tha most beautiful and intelligent woman related to me that I’ve ever known & I wanted to be exactly like her when I grew up. As a young New York doctor, she is a wonder herself, and so it amazed me to know that she might be pregnant wit her first kid which is another wonder in itself. We were really excited about it especially since she hasn’t even told her husband yet, and so we were happy wit her. We were happy as ma maver giggled when Tita told her that she’s feelin’ very weird. We were happy as ma mum hurried home from church at night to check if she’s already sleepin’. We were happy as I tiptoed in her room early in tha morn so as not to wake her up. We were happy as ma maver jokingly told Tita to stay away from me so that tha baby wuden catch any resemblance from me. We were happy wit her about tha li’l buster growin’ inside of her and so we were also sad wit her when she ask’d me for a sanitary pad tis morn. Just hoped tha mall distracted her a bit from li’l buster.

No comments: